Noun Challenge: July 5, 2014
Today’s noun: Women
Here are some women you should know, but probably don’t:
- Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910) First woman Physician in the United States
- Cornelia Fort (1919-1943) First woman to die in active military duty
- Ada Byron Lovelace (1815-1852) First computer programmer
- Valentina Tereshkova (1937- ) First woman in space
- Anna Jarvis (1864-1948) Founder of mother’s day
- Indira Gandhi (1917-1984) Influential figure for Indian women
- Grace Hopper (1906-1992) Invented first easy-to-use computer language
- Margaret Sanger (1879-1966) Founder of the birth control movement and the organization that would become Planned Parenthood Federation of America
- Clara Barton (1821-1912) Founder of American Red Cross
- Virginia Apgar (1909-1974) Developed the newborn assessment method
There are plenty more women you should know. These are just ten. I highly recommend spending some time online learning about other influential women in history. You’ll likely find that many of the things we just assume were done by men, were actually done by women.
I’m not trying to put down men with this post, but simply show women that they can be just as awesome!
Sorry for typos, though I don’t think there should be many in this post…
See you guys tomorrow!