I’ve had my fair share of “grammar-nazi” moments. I think most of us have. I used to correct people when they said, or wrote, something the wrong way, but I realized that It was annoying. It hasn’t stopped bothering me. It will never stop bothering me, I just won’t correct people unless I’m supposed to be correcting them.
The ever present misuse of your and you’re, two too and to, and there their and they’re, are some of the most irritating to me. It’s not necessarily the mis-user’s fault either. It could be due to a misunderstanding, or just lack of education on the differences.
So, I’m going to explain it all as simple as possible.
Part 1 BAM!
Part 2 POW!
Part 3 SHAZAM!
Okay, here we go ladies!
- Mispronunciation of words. [Pro-Nun-See-Ay-Shun]. My band director always said Appreciate like [Ap-Rih-She-Ate]. What? No! It’s spelled Appreciate not Appriciate. Please, learn to read. [Ap-Ree-She-Ate]. However, I find the actual pronunciation of the word mischievous incredibly irritating. It’s [Mis-Chiv-Us] not [Mis-Chee-Vee-Us]. Sorry, the first pronunciation there sounds a little stuck up and snobby to me. So basically, pronounce things the way I like it or it will bother me.
- If you’re going to eat near me, close your freaking mouth while you’re chewing. My brother never closes his mouth and I have to hear him slopping his food around in his mouth. You are a human, please stop pretending to be a cow, it’s not cute.
- If you use the last of something, replace it. If you notice that you just spread the last bit of butter on your toast, get a new stick out! And don’t tell me that you didn’t notice you took the last of it. You noticed. Also, If you use the last sheet of toilet paper, and you know you did because it got harder to pull and you didn’t have to rip it, get a new freaking roll so the next person has something to use.
- Crooked things. Maybe it was all the time I spent in marching band but if something isn’t perfectly straight, I feel the urge to fix it. That goes for things that have uneven spacing as well. It drives me crazy.
- People that bring god into everything. So you’ve applied to a job that is perfect for you and you really want it. Turns out you got the job! Some one says, “That’s the work of God!” No, bitch please, that’s the work of my awesome resume and incredibly flawless interview. Or when you pass a test that you were unsure about. “It’s a miracle by god!” No, It was all of my studying and staying up late trying to cram all of this knowledge into my brain.
Okay, rant over. That’s all I have for you right now.
Im starting a Challenge for the month of July. Everyday will have a different letter associated with it and there will be a theme corresponding to that letter. Sunday will be my break day/make-up day. You should check that out! This should be fun!